CD4026 consist of a 5-stage Johnson decade counter and an output decoder which converts the Johnson code to a 7-segment decoded output for driving one stage in a numerical display.
These devices are particularly advantageous in display applications where low power dissipation and /or low package count are important.
Inputs common to both types are CLOCK, RESET, & CLOCK INHIBIT; common outputs are CARRY OUT and the seven decoded outputs (a, b, c, d, e, f, g). Additional inputs and outputs for the CD4026 include DISPLAY ENABLE input and DISPLAY ENABLE and UNGATED “C-SEGMENT” outputs.
A high RESET signal clears the decade counter to its zero count. The counter is advanced one count at the positive clock signal transition if the CLOCK INHIBIT signal is low. Counter advancement via the clock line is inhibited when the CLOCK INHIBIT signal is high. The CLOCK INHIBIT signal can be used as a negative-edge clock if the clock line is held high. Antilock gating is provided on the JOHNSON counter, thus assuring proper counting sequence. The CARRY-OUT (Cout) signal completes one cycle every ten CLOCK INPUT cycles and is used to clock the succeeding decade directly in a multi-decade counting chain. The seven decoded outputs (a, b, c, d, e, f, g) illuminate the proper segments in a seven segment display device used for representing the decimal numbers 0 to 9. The CD4026 ?outputs go high only when the DISPLAY ENABLE IN is high.
The CD4026 series type is supplied in 16-lead dual-in-line plastic packages (E suffix), 16-lead small-outline packages (NSR suffix), and 16-lead thin shrink small-outline packages (PW and PWR suffixes).
- Counter and 7-segment decoding in one package
- Easily interfaced with 7-segment display types
- Fully static counter operation: DC to 6 MHz (typ.) at VDD?= 10 V
- Ideal for low-power displays
- Display enable output (CD4026B)
- “Ripple blanking” and lamp test (CD4033B)
- 100% tested for quiescent current at 20 V
- Standardized, symmetrical output characteristics
- 5-V, 10-V, and 15-V parametric ratings
- Schmitt-triggered clock inputs
- Meets all requirements of JEDEC Tentative Standard No. 13B, “Standard Specifications for Description of ?B? Series CMOS Devices”
- Decade counting 7-segment decimal display
- Frequency division 7-segment decimal displays
- Clocks, watches, timers (e.g. ?60, ?60, ? 12 counter/display)
- Counter/display driver for meter applications
|VCC (Min) (V)||3|
|VCC (Max) (V)||18|
|Voltage (Nom) (V)||5, 10, 15|
|F @ nom voltage (Max) (MHz)||8|
|ICC @ nom voltage (Max) (mA)||0.03|
|tpd @ nom Voltage (Max) (ns)||250|
|IOL (Max) (mA)||1.5|
|IOH (Max) (mA)||-1.5|
|Rating||See Data Sheet|
|Operating temperature range (C)||-55 to 125|
* Product Images are shown for illustrative purposes only and may differ from actual product.